All updates to the cloudtamer.io application (version upgrade, changes to infrastructure, etc) should be made through the cloudtamer-app CloudFormation stack only. If there are changes you wish to make outside of the CloudFormation template, please submit a ticket for assistance.
Update with Internet Access
To upgrade the cloudtamer.io application, you need to perform an
Update Stack operation on the current stack in CloudFormation. Download the latest version of the
cloudtamer-app.json CloudFormation template from the Deployment Guide on our Support Center or you can download any version from the release notes in the Announcements section of our Support Center. You don’t need to perform an update to the cloudtamer.io database stack (cloudtamer-db) unless requested to do so. The steps to upgrade are:
- Login to the AWS console where cloudtamer.io is installed.
- Navigate to the CloudFormation service.
- Place a checkmark next to the
cloudtamer-appCloudFormation template (ensure it’s the application and not the DB).
- Click Actions > Update Stack.
- Select Upload a template to Amazon S3.
- Click Choose File.
- Select the new CloudFormation template you downloaded from the Support Center.
- Click Next.
- You don’t need to change any values unless there are new fields available.
- Click Next twice.
- Check the box, I acknowledge that AWS CloudFormation might create IAM resources.
- Click Update.
The upgrade will perform a rolling update on the application in around 5 minutes. All users active on the website at the time of upgrade will receive a notification and an option to refresh the page. If there are any failures or rollbacks, please submit a ticket to our Support Center with a screenshot of the Events tab.
Updates without Internet Access
To upgrade the cloudtamer.io application when you don’t have internet access (these are also the instructions for C2S and SC2S), you’ll need to download the new cloudtamer.io archive (available below) to the root of the S3 bucket you created in the installation above:
cloudtamer-XXXXXXXXXXXX-state (replace the 12 Xs with your AWS account number). You can then follow the same steps from the Update/Upgrade with Internet Access section.
Ensure the S3 Bucket field still matches your S3 bucket in the CloudFormation update process. The upgrade will perform a rolling update on the application. All users active on the website at the time of upgrade will receive a notification and an option to refresh the page.
To download the latest cloudtamer.io archive, click here. To download an older version, change the version number to match the version you wish to use.
If you need to increase or decrease the database instance size, we recommend following these steps to reduce downtime. This should be very close to a zero-downtime upgrade - there may be a few seconds where the application has to reconnect, but a simple refresh of the page in the cloudtamer.io application will resolve any issues.
- Ensure you have at least one read replica. You should increase the number of nodes to at least 2 in the CloudFormation using an update stack operation. You will then have 1 writer database instance and 1 reader database instance.
- Make the changes to all the reader database instances. If you want to increase the size, increase it using the AWS console or the AWS CLI. This will not affect the cloudtamer.io application.
- Once the database instances are back to the Available state, click on the writer database instance, click Actions, then click Failover twice. This will promote one of the reader database instances to the writer. There may be a few seconds of downtime, but generally, it’s not noticeable to the users.
- Once the transition is complete, you can then sync the CloudFormation and upgrade the final database instance (which is the reader now) by updating the CloudFormation stack with the new database instance size. You won’t experience any downtime during this process.