Most of the time, a project can be moved from its original OU to any other OU in your company’s structure. Before you move a project, you will have to take into consideration how to apply cloud rules and what you want to do with the financial history and funding as it relates to both the original OU and the destination OU.
The application will walk you through the required steps for moving a project and all the choices you will need to make regarding the way information is stored and how funds are transferred.
Your options for moving a project are limited if there are line items on the project you want to move. If there are project line items, you will be prompted to review the limitations before you continue with the move. With project line items, the project can only be moved to an OU in the same tree as the current OU and the financial history and spend plan must be moved with the project.
When you begin moving a project, you will have the option to keep any of the cloud rules that the project inherited by turning them into locally defined cloud rules. Consider what cloud rules will be inherited at the destination OU before you make the decision to keep the cloud rules on the project. If you need to, you can request exemptions from cloud rules at the destination OU for any that might conflict.
If the project has no line items, you can choose to move all of a project’s financial history with it or keep it in the original location as an archive project. If you choose to move the financial history, it will be as though the project never existed on the original OU. If you decide to archive the project, the spend plan in the original location will be modified to end in the current month and you will have to create a new spend plan for the project in its destination OU.
If you choose to move all of a project’s financial history, you will be given the option to create a new spend plan or keep what is already there. If you choose to keep the project’s spend plan, new transactions are automatically created that will move the necessary amount of funds from the original OU to the new destination OU.
Lastly, if you are moving a project to an OU that is in a different tree from the original OU, you will be required to create a new spend plan to go with the new funding source.
To move a project:
- In the left navigation menu, click Projects > All Projects.
- Click on the ellipses menu on the project and select Move Project.
- If your project has line items, you'll need to read through the limitations and check the boxes to agree, click OK.
- In the drop-down menu, select the destination OU and click Next. If your project already has line items, the destination must be in the same tree as the current OU.
- Choose whether you would like to convert any inherited cloud rules to local cloud rules or remove all inherited cloud rules. If you remove them, any inherited compliance findings will be archived. Click Next.
- Choose whether you would like to move all financial history to the new destination OU or archive the data up to that point and click Next.
- Choose whether you’d like to move the current spend plan with the project, or create a new spend plan. Click Next.
- Review the Move Project Summary and click Move Project.